Readers Suggestions

I'm enjoying visiting as many of the '1000 Places to See Before You Die' as I can, but I'm aware there must be loads of other fantastic places to visit, that aren't in the book. Please make comments at the end of each posting with your recommendations!

Tuesday 20 November 2012

229: The Design District, Helsinki, Finland



It was a perfect time to see this in light of Helsinki being designated World Design Capital 2012. Not to mention it was the quarter containing Christmas (seems the shops get ready earlier and earlier these days) and so the shops were already full of very cute, artistic jolly Santa Clauses, reindeer, red baubles and shimmering glass.




Framed by cobbled streets and trams, shops with the most inviting window displays and a 4 degree temperature just driving you into warmer places, the Design District was a perfect way to lose a day while I waited for my flight to see Santa Claus in Lappland the following day.

Some of the most creative designers retail in these roughly 10 by 15 street block downtown. With a knowledge of design that is based on wandering around Ikea saying “oooh that’s rather clever”, I was clearly going to be an ignoramus as to which stores I should go in…so I based it largely on window displays.




I spent a lovely hour trying on hats in one store, had reindeer tartare with champagne at a French styled bistro, I decided on tablecloths in another, I picked up Christmas hatted rats in another, I bought a table Finnish xmas doll in another and weighed chandeliers in my hand to see if they could fit in my luggage.


Now…is it deserving in the 1000 places to see before you die  book? Hmmm. Hard one. I think what the problem is here that they might have tried to find one or two things in Helsinki to put it in the book. Ive already given a rip out page view on Alvar Aalto…so I guess on that basis and the fact that I have to find 1000 things to visit that are great…then Id probably on balance keep this one in as Finnish design is pretty cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment